Powered By Blogger

Thursday 21 May 2015

Everyone Has a Job.

Is this true? 

Since beginning work here, I've heard multiple teaching and support staff state the phrase "what is your job right now?" to kids when they have come off-task. I've been asking myself this question as well. I have set out on a quest to ask my frequent library users what my job is in this room. I also ask what they think their job is when they enter the library. I've gotten a few of the obvious answers, remain quiet, return books undamaged etc. So I'm going to keep asking, seeing what the kids want from me and expect from me. I believe they should have a say in what I'm doing, as long as it is appropriate for the library. 

April 6th was my starting point, and this month and a half has really taught me so much. The connections I've been making with students and to hear them say "will you be back next year too?" is wonderful. It really is one of the best feelings. The students that hold back from opening up to me and respecting the space are a little more challenging for me. This is the main thing I need to keep working at. I work alone and often there is nowhere to turn for advice, except for books of course. I finished the book "restitution" and it's working somewhat. I just need to keep repeating and restarting so that these students can learn to self-correct before someone else yells at them. 

This room is a place of refuge, its comfy in here, and it's quiet. Students come here to relax. I want them to know as well that if they are having a bad day, I never leave here, and they can talk to me about whatever they want, without me trying to force them to class. These are the kinds of answers I'm looking for in my "job" quest. I want to know what the kids think my job is and should be. I also hope they know where they stand too. 

Is there seriously only six weeks left? 

Exam prep should be starting soon, along with the tantalizing warm weather and field trip season! Maybe I should post some study tips too in the coming future....

That's all for now! 

1 comment:

  1. I like your statement "what the kids think my job is and should be." Cause they are the ones that really matter!

    ReplyDelete

The Adventures of a New Librarian