Powered By Blogger

Friday 8 May 2015

What's New in my Zoo.

Yes, it is a zoo.

A month has gone by and here is a list of accomplishments:
  1. Connections with students
  2. Putting my mark in the library (crafts on crafts on crafts) 
  3. Knowing the timetable- a.k.a when kids should be in class, and when they should be visiting me.
  4. Cataloging an obscene amount of amazing books
  5. Learning what Minecraft, Clash of Clans, and Roadblock is (I know, I'm only 23 and I am SO out of the loop) 
  6. Organizing everything I can so I know where I leave things
  7. Getting to know the staff: laminating every thing in speedy time (and cutting it all out, too)
  8. I have basically taught myself everything there is to know about anything in this library from scratch. This includes cataloging, using the computer program, fixing books that have been damaged, renting laptops/cameras, the printer (the printer is like a Rubik's cube) and memorizing the locations of the books- and then putting them all away.
The kids now know me by name, and it feels great. This has been an amazing experience so far, and I feel as though I have come a long way since the beginning. 

Of course, there have been some bad days, it takes a level of self-control that I have never known existed in me. Even with the bad days, there are always great moments. I was lucky enough to be asked to work with a student every morning on reading recovery, sight words and sentence building. I am so proud of this student, and she has really started to open up to me. This student has already moved up several levels in one month! This makes me feel as though no matter what I am attempting, I am still making a difference

One of my favourite things to do, aforementioned in my last post is reading to classes regularly. Although I do not have specific qualifications to be named a teacher-librarian, I am still trying to form some sort of lesson while reading specific books. I am always communicating with teachers to make sure I am reading books that pertain to their monthly themes or projects. I do a lot of improvising, however the kids are very smart, and they always answer my questions beautifully. I read a lot about cultures within the school, and about the environment. 

This school is Kindergarten to Grade 12, so it is always fun yet challenging to portray myself in many different aspects. I have only just graduated high school 5 years ago, so I am mostly a friend to the much older kids, and a funny crafty big kid to the younger ones. 

Thank you Pinterest for livening up my library each and every day! I will post the pins so that maybe you can use them too! 





The new Librarian is signing off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Adventures of a New Librarian